A close friend just made a remarkably courageous stand-out decision to pursue calling to a near & dear cause, education.
I will unlikely forget the moment I ran across the news in my inbox. I leapt up (out) from my cozy perch at Red Rock in Mountain View, abandoned my laptop/belongings in the cafe and dialed in the blinding sun standing on the sidewalk of Castro, leaving a barely coherent voicemail in signature fashion. This was no less than 1 hr. before an in-person interview with a business VP at a start-up in an industry I'm fairly passionate about, but very little could have mattered more at the time.
At a fairly frustrating juncture overpopulated by unending decision trees dangling questions crowding out answers - SF NYC Chi, fashion/beauty v. tech, mktg v. strat. v. finance...why MBA, why banking, why econ, why anything, timing was divine.
For having always lived for the shoulds, living between the coulds and woulds is alternatively bone-shakingly exhilarating and terrifying, tasting honey-sweet, sawdust and all flavors in between.
It takes generous discipline, courage, and focus to listen to the sound of your own voice.